Frequently Asked Questions

Does HSCC accept unwanted or stray animals from the public?

No.  HSCC's mission is to  rescue animals from the Cherokee County Animal Shelter.  Please contact the animal shelter at (864) 487-0161 if you need to surrender an animal or visit them at 300 Yale Street, Gaffney, SC.

Is HSCC affiliated with the Cherokee County Animal Shelter?

No.  By agreement with Cherokee County administration, HSCC is the only rescue and adoption agency for the 3000+ animals that enter the shelter each year.  The county animal shelter is staffed by people who care deeply for animals and work closely with HSCC to save as many as possible.  

Why is your email address "" if you are not the Cherokee County Animal Shelter?

We use the CherokeeShelter email address with our rescue partners because that is where the dogs and cats we rescue come from but we are not the Cherokee County Animal Shelter. 

I want to make a donation but would like to visit your facility first. Is this possible?

Absolutely! Please email HSCC at and we will be glad to set up an appointment for you to visit our facilities.  

Where do I send my donation?

Our mailing address is HSCC PO Box 2223, Gaffney, SC 29342.

You may also make a secure donation online with your credit card or PayPal account.

May I adopt a dog or cat from HSCC?

We are eager to adopt our rescue pets to the right home, but we reserve the right to refuse to release a dog or cat to anyone who does not meet our basic criteria.  Please read the following criteria we use to determine the best home for our furry friends:

  • All current pets in the home must be up-to-date on age appropriate vaccinations.
  • All current pets in the home must be spayed/neutered unless there is veterinary documentation that surgery would endanger the life of the pet.  The reason there are so many unwanted pets at the shelter is because of pet overpopulation.  
  • All current dogs in the home must be on monthly heartworm preventative.  Heartworm disease is rampant and nearly 40% of shelter dogs have this preventable disease.  Exposure through mosquito bites is a year-round problem in the south.
  • For the safety of the pet, we do not adopt small puppies or small dogs to families with children under the age of ten.
  • We will not adopt a single dog to a family who plans to keep the pet in a fenced yard instead of in the home.  Dogs are social creatures and must have companionship.
  • Under no circumstance will chaining or tethering a dog be permitted as a form of confinement to the property.

If you wish to adopt one of our available rescues, please complete an adoption application.  We often have adoptable cats at PetSense in Gaffney at 1268 W. Floyd Baker Boulevard, or call them at (864)487-3116.

May I report abuse or neglect to HSSC?

Cherokee County

To report animal abuse, neglect, or cruelty in Cherokee County, please call Animal Control at (864) 487-8529.

City of Gaffney

To report animal abuse, neglect or cruelty in the City of Gaffney, please call Animal Control at (864) 489-8115.

HSCC has no jurisdiction to investigate animal cruelty or animal neglect complaints.  We do, however, work with the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office and the City of Gaffney Police Department and encourage you to report animal abuse and neglect if you see it or suspect it.  If it is an emergency, dial 911.